Search Google

Friday, May 15, 2009

Suffering

Matthew Henry comments on the text of Jeremiah the Prophet of God as he speaks of suffering.

Here are two excerpts from the commentary that I believe are important lessons for us all.

First Jeremiah speaks of Godly suffering, then he speaks of brutish men, particularly brutish preachers.

I have included the definition of brutish from Noah Webster's Dictionary, which gave Biblical meanings of words as well as those contemporary to the time.

Click on the title of this post and it will take you to a website where Matthew Henry's commentary is available for on line reading for free. Also, you may go to this link,

e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge ,

and down load the best free Bible study program on the web, and if the Matthew Henry commentary is no longer listed, click on the down load from LightbyDesign link, where you can purchase a CD to install into the E-sword, which contains over 100 Christian commentaries and other classic Christian literature.

But I said, when I was about to complain of my wound, To what purpose is it to complain? This is a grief, and I must bear it as well as I can. This is the language rather of a sullen than of a gracious submission, of a patience per force, not a patience by principle. When I am in affliction I should say, “This is an evil, and I will bear it, because it is the will of God that I should, because his wisdom has appointed this for me and his grace will make it work for good to me.” This is receiving evil at the hand of God, Job_2:10. But to say, “This is an evil, and I must bear it, because I cannot help it,” is but a brutal patience, and argues a want of those good thoughts of God which we should always have, even under our afflictions, saying, not only, God can and will do what he pleases, but, Let him do what he pleases.



Every man is either a saint or a brute. But it is sad indeed with a people when their pastors, that should feed them with knowledge and understanding, are themselves thus brutish. And what comes of it? Therefore they shall not prosper; none of their attempts for the public safety shall succeed. Note, Those cannot expect to prosper who do not by faith and prayer take God along with them in all their ways. And, when the pastors are brutish, what else can be expected but that all their flocks should be scattered? For, if the blind lead the blind, both will fall into the ditch. The ruin of a people is often owing to the brutishness of their pastors.



Brutish

BRU'TISH, a. Like a brute or beast; as a brutish form.


1. Insensible; stupid; as brutish men.


2. Unfeeling; savage; ferocious; brutal.


3. Gross; carnal; bestial.


4. Ignorant; uncivilized; untaught.





No comments: